Happy birthday to me.
It’s been a quiet day today. Spent the morning glad that my late season allergy attack had worn off. Ever since my diet changes I’ve had a lot less trouble during ragweed season (or as I used to call it, “I’m allergic to September.”) Even so, Friday something got kicked up and hit my eyes and nose for a solid 24 hours. Bleah.
I’m cooking again today, like I do most Sundays. Making lunches for the week. I was hoping for some bratwurst when we visited DaVinci’s yesterday, but Anthony hadn’t made any this week. He had andouille instead, so I decided on white bean soup for this week. We picked up a local chicken yesterday as well and started by crockpot-roasting that and then simmering up some fresh stock overnight. This morning I assembled my soup. Wait a minute… WordPress has a new form for my recipes? Interesting. Guess I’ll try it out.
Dinner tonight pans to be a visit to one of our favorite Japanese restaurants for sushi. Just Kellie and me. No big birthday trip this year. We really enjoyed Glacier NP in July though. I’d love to go back. I find myself enjoying our park trips more than our Disney trips and cruises lately. We’ve got a few ideas for the future, in that area: canyons in Utah, Yosemite, Oregon, back to Alaska, and Yellowstone again.
All things I’d rather be doing than worrying about the crazy at work. Another (lesser) re-org went by this week. My old boss, Harry, is my boss again. Yay for that. Tim’s been moved out of systems into our web group. Mixed feelings there. It’s good to get him under a decent manager, but the folks left in systems are now left in an increasingly bad situation. I figure it’s only a matter of time before we lose them, perhaps all of them. Then I’m still working, but without anyone doing the infrastructure work I need supporting my systems. We’ve already lost four solid people that I worked with most every day. They all left this summer due to unhappiness with the management. Very soon we’re going to reach the point that it’s a full time job to keep the lights on – if we haven’t already passed it.
Better to be thinking about hiking to waterfalls and looking for critters to photograph.
White Bean Soup with Andouille Sausage
- 3 cups dried white beans
- 1 quart or so of homemade chicken stock
- half a large onion, diced small
- a few carrots, diced small
- a couple stalks celery, diced small
- 4oz or so mushrooms, diced small
- 2 links andouille sausage
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/2 lb or so of shredded gouda cheese
- Start by soaking the beans in lukewarm water overnight. Rinse and drain them in the morning. Put all but the cheese in the crockpot and stew a couple hours until the sausage is cooked. Dice the sausage and stir it back in. Stew a few more hours spread the sausage-y goodness. Remove from heat and stir in shredded cheese to melt it. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper as needed.